Friday, April 15, 2005

Twenty-something teenage angst

I have just spent the last two days with my parents and without my boyfriend, it was lovely as usual because they are wonderful parents and they live in beautiful North Norfolk but it was also weird.

Normally I see my parents with my boyfriend or with my three sisters there too but this time it was just me and them for two days with only Nell the Welsh Border Collie for company. I was happy enough at first but the weather was dreadful and we had to spend most of the time in the house so before long I remembered what it was like to live at home and wanted to skulk around like a moody teenager again but I couldn't as I don't have a room any more.

I now know how my friends who are away at uni feel when they come home for the holidays, as when you live alone you get used to doing your own thing. If you want to listen to music you do, if you want to potter about on-line you can and if the four walls make you too stir crazy you can go out to a pub or whatever, so it is tough spending the whole time making polite conversation with mum and dad when an odd nostalgic part of you feels like sneaking out, smoking a fag and downing a warm can of cider just because you feel 15 again.

I am now home and enjoying my independence by putting on the tv, cutting myself a slice of carrot cake and supping a cup of tea - oh hang on a second, that's what I have been doing chez mes parents. What am I moaning about!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home