Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Choices, people and places.

Why do we make the choices we make? I am 25 and for the past six years I have been working at an odious corporation for bad pay with boring people who I generally pity and despise. Why?

Fear most probably, fear of having no money in my pocket, fear of working with people who I pity and despise but don't know, fear of being crap and having to start at the bottom again. It's stupid, I have wasted six years of my life.

The scary thing is that through this dreadful choice I have made, I have met some people at work who I wouldn't want my life to be without, the good ones who make you feel like you don't mind dragging your carcass out of bed to see in the morning.

Through not going away to uni and staying in Norwich my boyfriend made some truly incredible friends who I am humbled to know and love (you know who you are).

I have also re-met a friend from school who is very special to me by bumping into her in tesco metro. If I had followed my original plans and gone to live in France or stopped being such a stubborn brat and gone to uni like my parents wanted, I wouldn't know these people - how weird.

So I have waded through corporate crap for the past six years and I am nearing the end jaded, bitter and hateful with a worse bank account that when I was at sixth form but ultimately happy with my choices, bitter-sweet but grateful.

1 Comments:

At 8:20 AM, Blogger Marco said...

If you're happy - despite the fact that things haven't worked out as you planned/hoped - then you haven't wasted six years. You've just had six years of doing work you will be glad to put behind you.

I've always thought of you as happy - and the first sentence of your profile bears me out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home