Friday, November 04, 2005

Dogs, slugs, crabs and all manner of creatures.

You may be mistaken in thinking that I have been away for the last two weeks as I have not blogged for a while, however the truth is I just couldn't be bothered anymore. Everytime I opened up my blog there were no comments and I started feeling a wee bit sorry for myself (well boo hoo for crabs as my scouse-norfolk friend spencer might say). Also my uni work has really taken off and I am feeling a little overwhelmed, I have four essays on the go and four presentations to plan for.

We've been busy in other ways too as Tom's mum came to visit last weekend, unfortunately we are now in the monsoon season down here and we were greeted with proper Dartmoor weather (in other words we got soaked as we ran the 100 yards from the car to the 2nd highest pub in England). Devon is damp, this is something I didn't know before I moved here. Our soafs feel damp, slugs have taken up a permanent residence in the crevice between the living room and kitchen and we went out to clean the bird feeder yesterday and found that the seeds had sprouted into tiny plants inside the feeder.

Have been enjoying lots of new things despite our poverty, the last Modest Mouse album which is very fine indeed, Tom got Winged Migration for his birthday, which is literally a documentary following birds on their migration paths, it is very relaxing and visually stunning, the Magic Numbers which is nice but not substantial enough for me, Neil Young's After the Goldrush which is an absolute classic which we have been looking for at the right price for ages, Gorillaz new album which we both love, they've done so much with the music and vocals and it sounds brilliant, and today Repulsion Box by Sons and Daughters which follows on in much the same excellent form as their first one. Watched The Life Aquatic again on DVD, this time with Tom who really loved it, it was difficult for me to convey how good this film was before, now he knows.

I've also been consuming lots of politics through the papers and news which is permiating my subconsious to the extent that I am now dreaming about New Labour policies, perhaps I deserve a break. Did enjoy Blunkett II, what a fool, I hope this weakens Tony Blair even more, I don't want him in power during any further developments with Iran, At least Gordon Brown is too tightpursed to waste any more money on a war. Tony doesn't care, he has his eyes firmly on the history books, look at his record so far, Sierra Leone, Kosovo, Afghanistan, Iraq (and now Iran?), even Maggie Thatcher only attacked Argentina and she was a monster! I leave you with the best thing about the whole Blunkett affair; seeing a dog in the House of Commons, what a treat!

1 Comments:

At 11:26 PM, Blogger Marco said...

Is that the black dog that was on Churchill's shoulder? If so, he's been in Parliament before. Not The Parliament, though. That would be wicked cool.

Sorry to hear about the slugs, too, we had a similar problem near our cat-flap. Just keep re-applying salt to the area. They're not so keen, for some reason.

Winged Migration is AMAZING. I'm sure I've recommended it to you, but I was probably a little on the unconscious side of inebriated, so it slipped by. Haven't seen the Life Aquatic, though, despite keeping meaning to.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home